Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Spokane River Run


News Flash...trail running is the bomb.

 I know most of you already know this but I have only just discovered it.

Truthfully, I have never done any trail running before which is criminal considering where I live.  I really have no excuse.  Spokane has an abundance of beautiful outdoor trails, parks and rec areas all close to where I live.  So when I heard about the Spokane River Run I knew this was the perfect opportunity for me to give it a try.

The River Run is an annual Spring event run in Riverside State Park here in Spokane. The event offered 5K, 10K, 25K and 50K ultra distance options.  Originally I had planned to do the 25K option but downgraded to the 10K which turned out to be a good decision for me.  The race was a relatively late start @ 9:45 am but by then the weather was absolutely perfect.  The air was cool but the sky was cloudless and blue.  Such a change from the snowy, rainy weather we have been having lately. 


The course itself was absolutely breath taking.  Lots of hills, rocks, mud, dirt and some magnificent views of the Spokane River.  My only complaint was that I was so busy keeping an eye on my footing that I couldn't stop and enjoy the spectacular view.  I think that is why I have my serious face on in this photo....it took quite a lot of concentration to avoid tripping and falling.  I saw lots of people roll an ankle or trip over exposed roots and rocks, so staying upright was my one and only race strategy.

In the end mission accomplished.  I managed to avoid an embarrassing sprawl in the mud and I enjoyed an amazing run in the process. I definitely see more trail running in my future. Cheers to the folks that organised the race.  They did a great job making this a fun, well supported and organised event

2 comments:

  1. You look awesome in the picture. There is a trail series here this summer that I may give a try. I have no experience running or racing on real trails.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I still remember YEARS ago you telling me you couldn't run. No way. ;) Now look at you. Running so fast you're BLURRY! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Comments