Friday, January 22, 2010

Ice Skating - I Think NOT

IMG_4741

We woke up this morning to find that our Friday ski class had been cancelled because the gondola at Silver Mountain had broken down. So glad we weren't on it when it died. So after doing a bit of school work we headed downtown to give ice skating a try.
Spokane is currently the host of the National Ice Skating Championships so we were lucky enough to see a number of world class skaters out on the ice practicing and warming up. Very cool. They really make it look easy. Having said that I don't think I'm selling myself short when I say I have absolutely NO God given talent for ice skating.
None.  WHATSOEVER.
Jack and I spent the entire time either glued to the handrail around the outside of the rink...or like this....{apologies for the lousy video technique}




OUCH...

IMG_4745

You can tell from Ciara and Max's expressions that we were just all loving the freedom and grace that ice skating gives you..{eyeroll}

Give me a pair of running shoes ANY day.


But on the upside, this capped off a week or trying new and different sports. Matt took the kids to play racquetball which is kind of like the American version of squash. I had to spectate as my shoulder was still playing up after falling off the ski lift last week....and to be honest I was a little relieved. Those little rubber balls were flying around like crazy in there.

3 comments:

  1. ha! I am totally not an ice-skater either. One time Brett and I went and had a race; only thing was I said it had to be one-way, straight line, with a wall at the end to slam into in order to stop....can't turn, stop in the open, or reverse. Think I'm happier to watch those more graceful than I from the sidelines :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sister and I took my big girls skating over the winter break, and they LOVED it. Both girls took to it amazingly fast and have been begging to go back. My skating skills came back to me pretty quickly, but I did take one hard fall that left a bruise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVED ice skating back when I was your kids' age. My best friend and I used to go to the ice rink every Saturday and spend the whole day. My mom even made me a little dress/costume for ice skating and I had my own skates. Never did get lessons, though. {pout}

    ReplyDelete

Comments