Monday, October 15, 2012

Moving on.....

Phew.  Back to our regular programming.  I can hear a collective sigh of relief.

Part # 1

Triathlon news.


I have signed up for another Ironman.  I went and did something I swore I'd never do.  I signed up for Ironman Coeur d'alene.  Yes...its within spitting distance of where I live so most people would think it would have always been the logical race choice for me.  But guess what...I HATE the cold. and um...well...CDA is flipping freezing in June.  For the last 4 years I have gone to watch the race and each time as I watch all these blue frozen bodies emerging from the 2.4 mile swim in 54 degree water it reaffirms my desire to NOT do that Ironman.

So what happened?

Well the bottom line was that it came down to logistics.  I can train on this course for free.  I don't have to book and pay for airfare, bike shipping or hotel accomodation. And with over 30 of my team mates signed up for the race I will never be short of training partners.  In the end it was a no brainer.

My experience of the swim in Boise gave me some confidence that I can survive frigid waters.  My trusty neoprene cap and booties will prove indispensable in June I'm sure.

Having watched the World Championships from Kona this weekend I have a renewed enthusiasm for IM training. (  Yay, Pete Jacobs).  I'm still rehabilitating my foot.  The good news its that I'm out of the boot.  The bad news is that I'm still having problems. Back to the foot doctor for me :-( Ironman training doesn't begin until late November so I still have some time to get it sorted out.

Part # 2

My daughter is part of her high school marching band and colorguard.  For Aussie readers, this is totally foreign to you but it has been one of my favorite things about my daughters foray into high school. Autumn is the marching band season and they spend all of their weekends travelling to different competitions all around the Pacific NW.  They spend between 20 and 30 hours a week practising and performing starting in August and going all the way through the end of October.  This coupled with school and homework leaves her no time for anything else.



This past weekend they had a competition here in Spokane so we went to cheer them on.  They won the championship which was such a great affirmation to them that all their hard work is paying off.  If you have some free time its worth watching this video of their performance.  Keep in mind these kids are all between 14 and 18 years old and they are playing all the music you hear as they dance, march and jump around the field.  Honestly  its a great reminder what anyone can do with the right direction,  dedication and desire can achieve.


6 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that you'll get your full money's worth of use out of your booties and cap. :)

    And I'm so glad that you'll have the home court advantage for IMCDA.

    And I love marching band. High school is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear you're out of the boot! You'll be running again in no time soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay Mum!!! Can't wait til June! :) The competititon was so much fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, pretty cool video - the training must have been quite something, that is a lot of people!! They should go to the edinburgh tattoo?? Looks like fun too - a mix of dance and military precision. Oh - and good on you for signing up for CdA, i hope things heal in time for the training...and the weather is unusually warm next year - beautiful location!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your photo along with the video. The photo helped me to keep an eye out for the shrouded group. I love how they moved as a unit until they were uncovered. So cool!

    I was in flags in 8th grade, and my hubs was a trumpet player in his high school band. I know how much work goes in to it all! Lots!

    ReplyDelete
  6. All awesome news. My friend did IMCDA. Every course has it's challenges. "Life is Like a Box of Chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get!" (Forrest Gump). We rode the IM course this weekend and it was very WINDY. Have not trained in wind, but I guess that is normal for this time of year. It was just a reminder that on day 1 when you sign up and then train all year, on race day...anything goes! I am so happy for you that you are not giving up your dream. I am also happy that you are the one doing CDA...though I am starting to believe I do better in cold and hilly courses. Some day, we will meet in person at a race. I would have loved to do Canada since they moved it to Whistler. Awesome on your daughters band competition. It is here triathlon! My nephew still plays at Cornell cause he could not give the love of band up and the friends that go with it. Cheers! Glad things are looking UP!

    ReplyDelete

Comments